Saturday 13 July 2019

Brexit rethink

In 2016, I voted to leave the European Union. The EU is a trading block that allows member states to trade without paying import taxes. I had my reasons, I won't bore you but I will just say that I think that the member states are too different to be together in a trading block, their tax rates are all different and their pay rates are all different and big multinational companies take advantage of these differences and abuse them. Of all the people I know in my family and friend circle I think I was the most reluctant Brexiteer.

Anyway.

If we had another referendum tomorrow, I would vote the other way. I would be a reluctant remainer because it is obvious now that the kingdom isn't ready to break off. Only the English and the Welsh want brexit. The other brother nations of the kingdom want to remain. I think most Brits overall want to remain because many young people that were too young to vote want to stay and some people didn't vote because they saw the polls and thought the verdict was clearly theirs. I remember there was a storm that day. We certainly aren't prepared for brexit, although I was given the impression  we were back in 2016 before we voted.

I will listen to what other people think.

Blog Archive

What May 2024 Means to me

It was during may that I learned there would be a snap general election for July the 4th. They didn't need to bring the date forward but...