Saturday 17 August 2024

Flying Home

I fly back home from the Americas after visiting relatives as often as I can and the same thing happens every time on my journey home. 
I tell myself I like movies, but I usually don't because the same stuff happens, a villain emerges and people shoot stuff at the villain or hit it until it dies or gets crippled, "yawn". I then accept that I don't like movies and stop playing them. Then I listen to a podcast or music and open the flight map, the sound plays in the background. 

When plane reaches Britain, it flies next to the Cornwall and Devon peninsula and stays in a straight line until it is above Portsmouth and turns north east. Then when the plane is above a rural area it starts to roll left and right to slow the plane down, causing the plane to make a zig zag path and make it descend more quickly; it is very hard to slow down a heavy plane loaded with stuff flying more than 10 kilometres above sea level at two thirds the speed of sound. I guess rolling left and right is the best way. The air at 10 to 12 km above sea level  is very thin so it doesn't really give you a lot of friction to slow down. 

The number of times it rolls in a zig zag depends on how much stuff is on the plane, it's usually about 10 times I think. Then it turns again and flies past the airport over London because the landing runway faces west. Then when it turns the last time, they lower the flaps a bit to create more drag, the plane starts to vibrate, then you hear the landing gear drop down. Then it lands and becomes a coach on the airport apron roads. 

It's a bit more straightforward when they fly from Europe I think, the plane descends above the Thames estuary and doesn't need to turn around because it's already facing west. 

I don't know if an Atlantic incoming flight is always like that, but it does that every time I'm on it. 



Blog Archive

Oubliette For Brats

If there is a day when artificial intelligence becomes sly against mankind and robots cast all people into a giant dungeon underground, I th...