Tuesday 8 October 2024

Chrome Shift

When Chrome Book first came out, I thought it was a joke. It was more or less a web browser on a laptop. The idea was you do your cloud computing like documents on there and it is all stored remotely. You could use web applications on the browser but I thought smart TVs have Browser apps and can connect to a blue tooth keyboard and mouse so it was no big deal to me. Now things are different. 
Chromebook will support most Google play apps that you get on your smart phone but use them with a keyboard and mouse cursor so it works more like a windows computer. It also supports Linux native apps like gimp. 

When I looked into the website, they claimed 2 identical os systems are stored together so one is updated in the background while the other is being used and vise versa so you don't get disturbed by update prompts and things like that. That is clever to me. You never notice it is updating because it does it in the background quietly. I also learned that the battery life of these devices is astonishing because they don't use much power. 

I was looking at a chrome book that is less than £200 but it has 8 gigabytes of ram and an octo core processor like my phone. It will eat most apps for breakfast. It's on Argos but it looks too good to be true. The screen alone could cost nearly £100. 

Computers in my world are generally constructive. When I was learning to drive, I used software that replicates the driving tests. I made sure I passed all the theory tests on my computer before I did the real thing. I am the only person I know of that passed all three driving tests first time; anger played a role in me passing, I was angry about bus passes increasing in price more than inflation. At the time it went close to £70 per month from £55 ISH overnight because of a mayor. 

Another thing I noticed is processing is moving server side because of artificial intelligence. It is becoming less important to have a powerful processor in your computer because it is done in a cloud. I can ask AI to draw pictures for me and the system processors draw the image and send it to me finished so more and more processing power is moving server side. 

I guess it is good to have both, windows and Chromebook. The world is changing all the time. 

Blog Archive

Oubliette For Brats

If there is a day when artificial intelligence becomes sly against mankind and robots cast all people into a giant dungeon underground, I th...