Friday 28 August 2020

Saying no to the Boss

I learned a lesson about being cocky a while back from sega. In the computer game called "Streets of rage",  you eventually find yourself at a hotel, on the top floor of the Hotel is the office of the crime Boss. You have to fight your way up from the car park. When you reach the crime Boss' office he askes you a question, If you choose "yes" then a trap door opens up and you fall back down to the car park (about one third  the way back in the game), if you choose "No" then he tries to kill you but you win the game when he is defeated. I can't remember what the question is but I remember that the answer "yes" is cocky. I later learned that some people deliberately choose "yes" because they want to smash the scoreboard. 

Sometimes I would go to friends houses if they got the game after me and I would warn them about the question in the crime Boss' office. I would tell them whatever he asks, say "no". They wouldn't listen because they think I'm stupid, they would choose "yes" and I would watch their sega mega drive punish them for not listening to me, they would be sent back several levels and they have used up their continues so it is like game over. I don't have a word for it so I will make one up, Hindsight-cream, when you tell them something to help them and they don't listen and you watch them being punished for devaluing your advice. Hindsight-cream tastes great. 

In American cop shows they are cocky. They break rank and disobey their Sargent. In real life things are different, if a police officer is told by their Sargent to get off a case and they disobey orders they are called to the office the next day and given their P45 forms with ink that is drier than my jokes. 


Blog Archive

Oubliette For Brats

If there is a day when artificial intelligence becomes sly against mankind and robots cast all people into a giant dungeon underground, I th...