Thursday 6 August 2020

Beirut and WH Smith

Recently there was a very large explosion in Lebanon, it was as powerful as a low-yeild nuclear blast.  The origin of the explosion wasn't malice or conflict, it was an accident. A warehouse full of explosive material caught fire, where I come from they call that an 'open and shut case'. Well, I feel pity for all the families that lost someone, I'm no stranger to tradgedy myself, will say no more. It is hard to look at the footage of the explosion, it looks terrible.  There was a large mushroom cloud that rose up into the air, just like in a real nuclear explosion. I Hope I don't see anything like that again! 

Earlier in the week I learned that WH Smith is laying off over a thousand staff because they were losing money. I like WH Smith, I would go into WH Smith and look at all the Annual booklets, sometimes they would call them bookazines. They were extra large magazines that summarize the whole year of publishing. There is a magazine for everything, fishing, gaming, music, science, media, you name it, they have it. I think the last thing I bought from them is a Phyphon programming guide, I wanted to get back into game development. I never got around to it really but the interest is still there. I love the smell of the place and looking at all the books, they have books of biographies mostly and a few of the big authors, JK Rolling, Steven King, people like that. I read "who goes there" by John Campbell. It is the source book for the sci-fi horror "the thing" it is nice to compare the book to the movie and see what they cut out of the movie, it makes the movie more interesting when you have read the book. 


Blog Archive

Oubliette For Brats

If there is a day when artificial intelligence becomes sly against mankind and robots cast all people into a giant dungeon underground, I th...