Wednesday 12 August 2020

Sonic and Knuckles dock

I was a kid in the 90s and I was given a Sega Mega Drive. Most of my readers are American so I will just like to point out the sega Genesis and Mega Drive are the same thing, the Sega genesis was in America and Mega Drive in Europe, the European's TVS worked differently, they use PAL video encoding and Americans use NTSC, different refresh rates and number of scan lines. Now all TVs made can interpret both. 

I loved to play computer games on my Sega Megadrive and there was one game that blew my mind twice, let me explain. 

Sega released Sonic the hedgehog then sonic 2 and Sonic 3. Then came an amazing game, Sonic and knuckles. What the game does is it has a cartridge dock on the top of it, this allows another cartridge to be plugged into it. You can play the sonic and Knuckles on its own. But if you plugged the sonic 2 game into the top it would edit the ROM as it loads and remove sonic and tails and replace them with Knuckles the Echidna. Echidnas are mammals that look like Hedgehogs plus they lay eggs, strange but true. You could then play sonic 2 as knuckles, so it was a different game. If you plugged sonic 3 onto it, the two games would merge into a bigger game. So if you had sonic 2 and Sonic 3 and sonic & knuckles you would have 5 games. I thought that was cool. 

Later I learned that what had happened is the cartridges had a limited capacity so sega had found a way to make a game that has more graphics and sound and game maps than  could fit on one cartridge by adding a port to one of the cartridges. So if you play sonic 3 with knuckles, you are playing a game that won't fit on one cartridge. They called it "lock on" technology. They saved a fortune because the games could be made in the same factory as the other ROMs. They made a game that doesn't fit on a cartridge without making a new format like CD. To me that is Amazing twice. It is Amazing to buy 3 games and get 5 and it is Amazing to push the technology more that it can go by thinking outside the box. 

In this time I can't talk about this amazing thing because my social status is small in society. I don't have enough friends to talk about the Sonic and knuckles lock-on cartridge so I will just share it in here. 


Blog Archive

Oubliette For Brats

If there is a day when artificial intelligence becomes sly against mankind and robots cast all people into a giant dungeon underground, I th...