Tuesday 21 July 2020

DeskTopia

Earlier in the week I tried to use my phone on the TV screen as a desktop computer. When you connect a Bluetooth mouse to an Android phone, you get a mouse pointer on your phone screen so your phone behaves like a desktop computer. This also works when you connect a Bluetooth keyboard and scrollpad. The keyboard replaces the screen keyboard on the phone and you get a little old school desktop pointer that is controlled by the mouse. At the same time you can mirror the phone screen on your TV so your TV screen becomes like a "turn of the millennium" old school desktop computer. I use chromecast to mirror my phone screen because you don't need to download any apps for it. The OS system already has Chromecast built-in. 

The problem is there is a lag. You see my phone sends a copy of the screen and sound to the router, then the router sends the data to the chromecast, then the chromecast re-renders the graphics and sound and sends it to the TV. So.... What happens is you get a half second lag. I move the mouse pointer but it takes an extra half second to move on the TV screen. 
 
Why bother? 

Well, I use my phone more as a computer then a phone, listen to LBC radio on it, I play games on it and write blogs and read things on it. Most of my modern day knowledge comes from smart phones. I read news articles, e books and Wikipedia articles on there when I am trying to sleep. 

Recently there as been an old school renaissance on portable pocket computers like smart phones. Old DOS games like commander keen and doom and the classic sonic and mario games are available and even my favourite game, roller coaster Tycoon is available. 

I will look for a way to remove the lag, perhaps the screen can be mirrored directly without the router. Lets see. 

Blog Archive

Oubliette For Brats

If there is a day when artificial intelligence becomes sly against mankind and robots cast all people into a giant dungeon underground, I th...