Wednesday 13 July 2022

Small talk

The other day I assembled a flat pack chest of draws, at first I felt disappointed because I thought the bottom of the draws were too weak. There was a thin particle board panel on the bottom of the shelves and a slit at the front and back to hold the panel in place; soon I noticed I was wrong because I screwed on metal sliders and noticed they had a flange that grips the bottom panel from the sides. I then screwed a metal bracket on the bottom to go across the middle. I was impressed by the amount of thought that had gone into the design of the draws. They had used the metal in the slider twice, as a surface for the rollers to move across and an extra bracket to hold the board at the bottom. 

The problem is I live in a society that makes it hard to talk about little things like that. Everybody is too busy and don't want to sit down and talk about the happy simple things in this world. I want to talk about butterflies, quirky designs. I want to debate the plot of a movie or a story. 

I don't want to talk about the leadership race because they are all talking bull-shit, they say they will cut taxes, but don't say how they will pay the running costs of the public sector, they will just cut one tax and raise another one. I feel irritated when they talk because they went to posh schools and they are rich so they just say some slick sales lines and their powerful friends get them promoted. Sometimes ordinary people have the answer. 

Blog Archive

Bus Day

Jacob, my son.  I recently learned that one of the bus companies where we live will close down their depot. This means the routes they run w...